Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Wonderland Requiem

It looks like Will Scarlett will be (re)joining the Merry Men and the OUAT: Original Recipe crew now that Wonderland has mercifully gotten the axe.
Do these mushrooms make my ears look smaller?

Slight spoilers if you are watching/care to watch OUAT: Wonderland

I watched OUAT: Wonderland sporadically and never wrote about it here, but what little I saw I was decidedly unimpressed. I thought it had a weak start, hamfisted characterizations, and predictable plot lines. It seemed like they got marginally stronger by their midseason reboot, and the Jabberwocky was an interesting villain, but none of the characters ever seemed to develop beyond first blush. We got some backstory as to why they were the way they were - but so what? A character can't be ALL reveal. There has to be something to the journey. OUAT: Wonderland ended super predictably, with no one changing* or growing. The strongest episode (translation: the one I actually sat through) was the one with Barbara Hershey.

(*Yes technically Amara changed from a staff back into a woman. I don't feel like this counts.)

Here's the problem with adding Will into the OUAT mix - this isn't going to work w/o some time travel, or stasis or something. Alice's "story" whatever else it does - takes place in and around Victorian England. And OUAT is decidedly, if non specifically, present day. So they're going to have some 'splainin to do when Will strolls into our Quaint New England Town. Or not. Whatever.

Other places OUAT should visit now that we've checked off the obvious crossovers of Wonderland, Neverland and Oz (oh my!) and we should just go full Passions at this point.


  • Island of Misfit Toys
  • "Outer Space" - it worked for Josie and The Pussycats!
  • Thra
  • Sunnydale
  • Duckburg. Or St. Canard. I'm fine with either.
  • Hooterville
  • Twin Peaks
  • Whatever world Captain EO takes place on.
  • Pangaea. As long as we're time traveling, I want some damn dinosaurs.
  • Westeros 


Or, failing that, let's just do a 'Honey I Shrunk Storybrooke' storyline. That's a franchise that needs a reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment